Samsung working on the clamshell phone was rumored and leaked online. Well, in the Galaxy Unpacked at San Francisco, Samsung officially announced Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (a clamshell phone) alongside the Galaxy S20 series. This is the second foldable smartphone from the company, first was Galaxy Fold.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip: The Second Fold!
The Galaxy Z Flip packs in a 6.7-inch FULL HD+ Dynamic AMOLED main display with a 21.9:9 aspect ratio and a resolution of 2636 x 1080 pixels. The company is calling this an Infinity Flex display, has proprietary bendable Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG).
Since it is a clamshell phone, it boasts a 1.1-inch external/cover Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 300 x 112 resolution. There is a dedicated ‘Flex Mode’ that splits apps in half and puts the controls on the bottom half and in turn, the top half turns into a viewing area.
The Z Flip is powered by Snapdragon 855 Plus Octa-Core Mobile Platform, paired with8GB of RAM, coupled with 256GB of internal storage, runs on Android 10, and a 3300mAh battery backs all these with fast charging support. Apart from that, it has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner and has One eSIM and one Nano SIM support.
Coming to the optics, the Galaxy Z Flip sports a dual rear camera setup and is a combination of 12MP (primary) wide-angle camera with f/1.8 aperture and a secondary 12MP ultra-wide-angle camera with f/2.2 aperture. The front camera is a 10MP shooter with f/2.4 aperture.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Specifications
- 6.7-inch FULL HD+ (2636 x 1080 pixels) 21.5:9 Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display, external/cover 1.1-inch (300 x 112 pixels) Super AMOLED display
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.95 GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.41GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.78GHz Kryo 485), Adreno 640 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 256GB storage
- 12MP (primary wide-angle) SuperSpeed dual pixel f/1.8 1.4μm Pixel Size + 12MP (ultra-wide) f/2.2 1.22μm Pixel Size; LED flash, HDR10+, OIS, Up to 8x digital zoom; Video: Up to 4K 60fps
- 10MP front-facing selfie camera, f/2.4 aperture
- Android 10
- 3300mAh battery with 15w fast charging, 9w Qi wireless charging
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor (digital, analog), Proximity sensor, RGB Light Sensor, and Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Nano-SIM + eSIM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou; Enhanced 2X2 MIMO, 5CA, LTE Cat.16 Up to 1.0Gbps Download, LTE Cat.13 Up to 150Mbps Upload, Up to 1.0Gbps Download / Up to 150Mbps Upload
- Dimensions: Folded: 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3 mm (Hinge) – 15.4mm (Sagging), Unfolded: 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2 mm – 6.9mm (Screen); Weight: 183 grams
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip: Pricing And Availability
The Galaxy Z Flip comes in Mirror Black, Mirror Purple, and Mirror Gold. It is priced at US$ 1380 (~Rs. 98,400). Coming to availability, the Mirror Black and Mirror Purple will be available in the US and Korea starting February 14th, 2020, and the Mirror Gold color variant will be available in select countries soon.