Canon has announced two new enthusiast-grade cameras; Canon EOS 90D DSLR and mirrorless Canon EOS M6 Mark II. Both the cameras share quite a bit of their hardware capability, however, this doesn’t end an ever-longing debate on DSLR vs mirrorless.
Canon EOS 90D And EOS M6 Mark II
The Canon 90D (successor to Canon 80D) sports a new sensor that bumps up the resolution from 24.2-megapixel (on 80D) to 32.5-megapixel, gives out full-width 4K video recording, up to 10fps burst shooting with autofocus.
The EOS M6 Mark II is capable of shooting 4K video using the full width of the image sensor, but according to DPReview, it is limited to 30p or 25p. Apart from that, it can shoot at up to 14fps thanks to the new processor, and up to 30fps in “RAW burst mode.”
Much like the original M6, the Mark II also comes with a selfie-friendly tilting LCD, however, it swaps in a multifunction dial for the older model’s exposure compensation switch.
Both the cameras have a new 32.5-megapixel APS-C image sensor, a DIGIC 8 image processor, an electronic shutter capable of speeds up to 1/16000, uncropped 4K/30 video recording, and dual-pixel autofocus in live view with 5,481 selectable points. Both cameras have built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity, and USB-C.
Talking about differences, the Canon 90D looks like any other Canon mid-range DSLR, while the M6 Mark II sports a compact form, which is unchanged from the original M6 launched back in 2017.
Other than that, M6 Mark II is capable of shooting 14 fps with AF and AE tracking, while the 90D goes up to 10 fps, which is incremental from 7 fps on 2016’s 80D (with which we shoot our YouTube videos).
Apart from the hardware performance, the biggest difference is price. Both the cameras will be available next month;
- Canon EOS 90D – US$1,199 [body-only] (~Rs 86,100)
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II – US$849.99 [body-only] (~Rs 61,000)
- Canon EOS 90D + 18-55mm lens – US$ $1,349 (~Rs 97,000)
- Canon EOS 90D + 18-135mm lens – US$1,599 (~Rs 1,14,800)
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II + 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 lens + EVF-DC2 electronic viewfinder accessory – US$1,099 (~Rs 78,900)
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II + 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 lens + EVF-DC2 electronic viewfinder accessory – US$1,349 (~Rs 96,900)