Samsung has introduced a new NVme based solid state drive (SSD) with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity – SSD X5. Ideal for computing and video professionals, with this you can back up a 20GB 4K Ultra HD video in around 12 seconds.
Samsung SSD X5: Fast Becomes Faster!
The X5 is entirely made of metal with a non-slip pad on the bottom and a gloss-finished across most of its surfaces. This designed so that it can tackle shock for up to two-meter drops, and thermally protected against overheating. Furthermore, it includes AES 256-bit hardware encryption and optional password protection with its Portable SSD Software.
The company promises that X5 reads up to 2800 Megabytes per second, and write speeds of 2300 Megabytes per second. That’s 5 times faster than SATA-based portable SSDs, and over 25 times faster than typical external hard drives. Which also means that you could expect a 100GB video rendering project to go from 35 minutes of transfer time to under 2 minutes.
To achieve these speeds, you’ll need to have a PC or Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port, which looks just like a standard USB-C port but commonly has a lightning bolt icon to indicate its faster capabilities.
Samsung Portable SSD X5 Specifications
- Capacity – 2TB/1TB/500GB
- Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps)
- Transfer Speed – Up to 2,800 MB/s sequential read speeds, Up to 2,300 MB/s sequential write speeds (500GB: up to 2,100 MB/s)
- Strong, shock-resistant metal case and internal support frame
- AES 256-bit hardware encryption
- Requires Macs and Windows PCs with Thunderbolt 3 ports (Not backward compatible / Not compatible with PCs only with USB interface), MacOS Sierra (10.12) or higher, Windows 10 64 bit RS 2 or higher
- Certification – CE, BSMI, KC, VCCI, C-tick, FCC, IC, UL, TUV, CB
- RoHS2 Compliance
- Dimensions: 119 x 62 x 19.7 mm ; Weight: 150 grams
- Limited 3-year warranty
Well, the Samsung Portable SSD X5 is priced 27,999 for the 500GB model, Rs. 48,999 for the 1TB model, while the top-end 2TB version costs Rs. 97,999 for the 2TB model. It is rolling out globally starting today, September 3rd. It should go on sale in India soon.