MediaTek has introduced its latest processor for mid-range smartphones; MediaTek Helio P60. According to the company, it is the first SoC platform to come with a multi-core AI processing unit and MediaTek’s NeuroPilot AI technology.
ALSO READ: Checkout Our MWC 2018 Coverage!
MediaTek Helio P60 Processor
The Helio P60 is based on 12nm TSM’s FinFET technology. It features four ARM Cortex A73 2GHz CPUs and four ARM Cortex A53 2GHz CPUs in an Octa-Core configuration. The company also promises 70% CPU performance boost over the Helio P23 and Helio P30 with added 70% GPU performance enhancement.
In addition to that, MediaTek also says that the Helio P60 is up to 12% more efficient overall and up to 25% more power efficient in highly demanding games, when compared to the Helio P23. This chipset also has MediaTek’s CorePilot 4.9 technology with enhanced thermal management, user experience monitoring and Energy Aware Scheduling (EAS).
MediaTek Helio P60: Integrated AI
The P60 sports NeuroPilot AI technology, which works seamlessly across CPU, GPU and Mobile APU within the SoC, apparently maximizing performance and energy efficiency. This chipset is also compatible with Google Android Neural Networks API and supports common AI frameworks, which includes TensorFlow, TF Lite, Caffe, and Caffe2.
This chipset has three image signal processors, which increaser its power efficiency by around 18% and will also offer AI-infused experiences in apps with real-time beautification, AR/MR acceleration, real-time video previews and more. Furthermore, it packs in a 4G LTE WorldMode modem, dual 4G VoLTE and TAS 2.0 smartphone antenna technology.
MediaTek Helio P60 Specifications
- TSMC 12nm FinFET technology
- Octa-core with 4 x 2GHz ARM Cortex-A73 and 4 x 2GHz ARM Cortex-A53
- 800MHz ARM Mali-G72 MP3 at up to 800MHz
- Up to Full HD+ (2400×1080 pixels) 20:9 display
- Up to 8GB RAM, dual-channel LPDDR4x at 1800 MHz, eMMC 5.1 / UFS 2.1
- Up to 16MP + 20MP or 32MP camera
- Single or Dual Camera bokeh and depth of field features with a hardware depth engine enabling real-time bokeh preview
- Real-time HDR recording and viewing
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 and FM radio
- GPS/GLONASS/Beidou or GPS/GLONASS/Galileo co-receive
- Cat-7 (DL) / Cat-13 (UL); Dual 4G VoLTE; TAS 2.0; Global IMS, 600MHz (Band 71) frequency for North America
- IMS (VoLTE\ViLTE\VoWi-Fi), Dual 4G SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) technology, Global eMBMS, HPUE
- MediaTek’s TAS 2.0 smart antenna technology gives optimal and sustained signal quality at the lowest power, Automatically detects and uses the best antenna combination, Faster data connection
- MediaTek CorePilot 4.0: Energy Aware Scheduling, thermal management, and UX monitoring
Smartphones powered by the MediaTek Helio P60 chipset will be available globally starting in early Q2 of 2018. It is worth noting that, the company is also working on bringing ONNX support to the chipset in Q2 2018, which will provide developers more flexibility for designing AI-powered applications.